Friday, 24 October 2008

The contents page

This is an evaluation of this image:

I have used very slang words to connote that this magazine is directed towards younger people (16-18) for example, wassup. I have decided to do the word "student" in a very formal and simple style to connote the formality assumed by students, but the scruffily done "shout" is to connote the truth about a majority students that we really are quite scruffy but we get the job done. I have backed the images to denote photographs, to make them look like photographs that have been layered on top of each other and in no particular order.

I feel that the use of backing the images have been most successful due to its denotation. They genuinely look like photographs. However, the most unsuccessful part I feel is the fact that there are no images to show them clearly for what I intended to. However, I feel that as long as the observers see that they are supposed to be photographs, I am comfortable with what I have.

I feel that through this task, I have developed a clearer understanding of what I can do to conote or denote a particular aspect of an image. I believe that you need to think like a person lacking of intelligence to make the denotation/connotation as clear as possible.

1 comment:

East Norfolk Media said...

Your products are really nice Alex - stylish and well achieved, appropriate for the audience and demostrating a good basic grasp of Photoshop skills. Well done! Your use of Flickr for various analyses of your drafts is also excellent and shows you understand the possibilities of blogging etc for enhancing your work.

Your written work is a little less polished, and is an area you will need to focus on more as we go through the course. Make sure you PLAN your written work properly, and that you re-read it after you have written it. On a technical note, make sure you understand the difference between "connote" and "denote". YUou are not quite using them correctly. Ask me if you are still not sure after re-reading the image analysis guidance handouts.

Overall - very promising work. Well done!

Sean